5.16.2017

Movie Review

It's hard to believe that I saw the first Guardians almost three years ago and it still remains one of my favorites. Our Mother's Day plans to go on a Wildlife Cruise out to the Channel Islands was thwarted by high winds so we ended up taking a big ol' family trip to the movies instead. The in-laws, my mom and us four went to see GOTG2 and I was not disappointed in the least. And from the trailers we saw beforehand, I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of movies between now and Christmas.
The theme of this sequel, which manages to be as awesome as the first, is "family." We get to meet Peter's dad played by the super handsome Kurt Russell. We also really get to dive deep into Peter's relationship with Yondu who was a pretty bad dude in the first film. I will not lie to you, I totally wept at the end because they hit every family note they could and you know I'm a sentimental mess. Christa was deeply in love with the very lovable Baby Groot who adorably dances through the opening credits. Boy does Rocket make Casey laugh and think he can get away with dropping swear words. I wish that Peter had had more screen time and focus because he is my boyfriend but it wasn't too disappointing. I really liked getting to see more of Drax because he really cracks me up.
Mostly, though, I was so impressed with the background and the visuals. What a spectacular imagination you have to have to dream up a galaxy such as this. The soundtrack slayed again and mom and I sang along more than once. We stayed all the way to the end of the credits for three separate teasers but I'm not sure it would have killed me to have seen them on the DVD. Overall, though, the entire family - young and old - walked out of the theater with smiles on their faces. Highly recommend.

No comments: