3.30.2017

Sweet Spinach Muffins

Anyone who knows me knows I have trouble feeding Casey. He almost has a phobia when it comes to food. I've actually seen him vomit after taking a bite of a hot dog. It's getting better as the years go by but he's still pretty repetitive when it comes to eating. He has the same PB&J lunch every day and chicken nuggets almost every night. Sometimes he'll branch out to a quesadilla or a grilled cheese sandwich but in general he seems to be vehemently against red meat. Recently we've gotten him to take bites of different things and he shocked us by liking fish and chips and calamari.
Vegetables, on the other hand, don't seem to be happening. I can get him to eat apples and grapes and the occasional banana but vegetables are not his jam. When a friend of the family posted a picture of bright green sweet spinach muffins, I thought I should give them a shot. Green is Casey's favorite color so I figured I could disguise them as "Hulk" muffins. Guess what? It worked.

Recipe can be found here for Sweet Spinach Muffins for Super Healthy Kids.
Makes 18 muffins. Preheat oven to 350.

Dry Ingredients
*2 cups flour (recipe calls for whole wheat but I used white)
* 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
*2 tsp baking powder
*1/2 tsp baking soda
*1/4 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients
*3/4 cup milk
*1/2 cup honey
*1 large banana
* 6 oz spinach (I used frozen and halved the 10 oz package so a bit shy of the full 6)
*1/2 cup unsalted butter
*1 large egg
*1 tsp vanilla extract

I should have used a blender to puree the wet ingredients because the food processor didn't really do the job. Puree the wet ingredients and then fold them into the dry ingredients but be cautious of over-mixing (I used the mixer because I throw caution to the wind). Bake for 18-22 minutes. I did 20. Honestly, these muffins do not look appealing, probably because I didn't puree the spinach enough. They were not bright green probably because I didn't use fresh leaves. It's fine though because they are quite tasty and were a hit with all the Fridays. I recommend and will likely try other recipes that trick Casey into eating those veggies.

No comments: