3.28.2017

Bluey and B'Beast

Husband is working on his Masters Degree so part of that deal means he has homework. As anyone who has ever done homework will attest, a noisy household of rambunctious children is not the best way to get the job done. In an attempt to provide some quiet study time, I decided to take the kids to see a Saturday matinee of the live action Beauty and the Beast. I didn't think he'd be too upset to not be included in the viewing of a musical princess movie.
I admit, I have had my reservations about these adaptations. Cinderella looked beautiful but something about it has to this day kept me from watching. I simply prefer the classic cartoon form. Well, I thought I did anyway. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about B&TB. From the moment the movie started and Belle (Emma Watson) started singing about her provincial life, the tears started flowing. Will I have the same feelings when they adapt my beloved Little Mermaid? We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
I was worried about this version not staying true to the cartoon. While there is new music and a few tweaks to the story line, though, I personally found them to all be improvements. I remember seeing the musical in LA for my 18th birthday and it feels like the stage and the cartoon married beautifully and gave me this film. Every character felt perfectly suited to their roles and hearing Celine Dion sing me out of the theater when the credits rolled was nothing short of perfection. The scenery and special effects were magical and I do not use that term lightly. There was some worry that the two hour running time might have caused the children to grow restless, but they were captivated from start to finish. I will be happy to watch this again with them.

No comments: