2.14.2017

Movie Review

It's no secret around these parts that I was a big fan of The Lego Movie and that one of my favorite things about it was Will Arnett as Batman. When we found out they were going to do a movie just for him, we were all super pumped about it. Next weekend, we have a Legoland trip planned to celebrate Christa turning three. It seems almost serendipitous that The Lego Batman Movie came out just in time for us to watch it this past weekend, right before our big ol' Lego weekend!
We don't really go to movies so much anymore unless we can bring the kids. Date nights are better spent actually talking to Husband over dinner or a game of Sequence at a brewery rather than being distracted by yet another screen. I have to admit, I was not as much a fan of this one as I was of the original. I'm not sure what it was, but I felt it lacked the heart of the first. I noticed Christa was a lot more restless than she normally is in the theater and that Casey sort of just un-enthusiastically watched whereas he is usually a bit more involved.
Don't get me wrong, there was a lot of action and a lot of laughs. I'm continually stunned by the special effects of these movies. The colors and scenery are so rich and detailed that it's hard not to be impressed. Everyone and their mother has a voice cameo and it's such a treat for me to put an actual name to the character. It felt like it just took a while for the story to get off the ground. Batman is a solitary vigilante who is afraid of relationships. The new commissioner Gordon wants to work with him and he's more interested in flying solo. He accidentally adopts Dick Grayson (a.k.a. Robin voiced by fellow Arrested Development alum, Michael Cera - I'm a big fan of that show, P.S.) and Alfred forces him into becoming a "padre." Watching this gorup of misfits form a family was touching, I just wish the story could have been a little more streamlined. It probably deserves another viewing where my expectations aren't so high.

No comments: