11.17.2016

Throwback Thursday

This week has been pretty weird here at work because I have had to repeatedly enter and type the date of November 18. Tomorrow is the three year anniversary of my dad's passing. Last week, I believe it was on the 8th (another horrible day), Facebook reminders showed me the post I had written telling our friends and family that he was in critical condition. Needless to say, it's rough to be reminded of such a difficult time. I miss my dad every day without fail anyways but boy did that eleven days three years ago destroy me.
I don't know when I started doing this exactly, but shortly after he passed away, any time I would see a Monarch butterfly pass by I would say "Hi, Dad." On Saturday we were hiking and we saw a Monarch and I told the kids to say hi to papa and Casey asked me why I did that when I saw a butterfly. I told him I missed my dad very much and it made me feel better to believe a butterfly was his way of checking in on me. I have been noticing on my walks that there are a lot of Monarchs about right now and actually just put it together that November is their usual time to start migrating because of the colder weather. What a nice coincidence of timing to see so many reminders of my dad when I need it the most.
I told Husband about this and it turns out he does it, too. When he got the news that he didn't get the job he applied for, he said he drove out to look at the islands from the coastline. A Monarch hovered nearby and he told it, "Not now, Doug." I thought that was pretty funny. Anyway, I'm not sure where I'm going with any of this other than during difficult times, finding a source of comfort in any object that brings you joy is always a good thing. We all need a little bit of comfort and joy these days. Maybe say hi to a butterfly for me.

2 comments:

Ang said...

I will say hi to one. Prayers for you Randi.

Coodence said...

I miss you Doug!!