10.18.2016

Movie Review

It has been months since I've seen a grown-up movie in the theater. This past weekend I let Husband pick our date and he chose the fancy theater in Westlake Village that has table-side service and reclining chairs. We sure know how to live it up and spend tons of money on things we don't need to spend tons of money on. He chose The Magnificent Seven which is a remake of a fifty-six year old cowboy movie. How about that?
I will see anything that stars Chris Pratt so I was sold. I certainly wouldn't kick Denzel out of my bed, either, so Husband got cowboys and I got eye candy. It was a win-win. The story is about a small town with a rich miner baron type person trying to take over so he can have all the gold to himself. This bad guy was played by Peter Sarsgaard who I have decided is a John Malkovich-lite. The town wants to fight back so they enlist the help of a group of seven misfits to help them form their army. There's a bounty hunter, a gambler, a tracker, a sharp shooter, a Japanese fella that throws knives, a Mexican outlaw and a Native American that was given the boot by his tribe. Diversity at its finest.
There is nothing in this movie that wasn't totally predictable. It was a good time with lots of horse riding and gun slinging and dirty cowboys. Did you know Ethan Hawke still acts? He looked pretty worse for the wear for being a former heartthrob. Vincent D'Onofrio was a scenery chewer. Other than that, the acting was good enough. The lead gal was a Jennifer Lawrence clone and I found it to be very distracting. So there's that! Didn't love it, didn't hate it. It was a cowboy movie. I watched it with zero expectations and walked away entertained. The End.

No comments: