8.03.2016

Movie Review

On Saturday I took the kids to see Finding Dory since Husband was taking his parents to the airport. I knew the goodbye would be hard and the house would feel empty so I thought it would be a nice distraction for us. Casey had already seen it with my mom on the last day of school but he'll do just about anything for popcorn and a Sprite soda. Christa did well enough watching Pets that I was willing to roll the dice. Also on our side was the fact that everyone and their mother has already seen this movie since it has been out forever so we had the theater mostly to ourselves.
The Pixar short about the wee Piper had Christa squealing with glee so I knew we were off to a good start. Finding Dory picks up a year after Finding Nemo. Forgetful Dory has a memory about her parents and is determined to find them because she suddenly realizes what it feels like to miss someone. She enlists the help of Nemo, his dad, Marlin and Crush the turtle to make her way across the ocean to Monterey, California. Dory and her parents were in the rehabilitation marine center there. While Finding Nemo is an absolute classic, Finding Dory is definitely worthy enough to stand alone as a beloved film despite its sequel status. I was quite impressed with the creativity and imagination employed getting fish from the sea into the aquarium; what a wild ride! Hank the octopus, voiced by Al Bundy himself, is a scene and heart-stealer. The other characters are enjoyable but not nearly as memorable.
I really liked this movie but didn't love it... does that make sense? Maybe it's because I was distracted by my children and their inability to sit still. Maybe it's because I had to take them to the potty at a pivotal movement. I'm not sure. I would definitely watch it again and laughed a bunch and got a little choked up because of all the family stuff. I really connected with Dory and her forgetfulness because that is my life in a nutshell and I know how frustrating I can be. I keep three calendars going at once just so I can remember all the important occasions and still I lapse. But I digress. I can confidently recommend this movie 100%. On a final note: Baby Dory is hands down the cutest thing you will ever see in your life so be warned.

No comments: