7.13.2016

#WCW

Have you ladies taken the time to read "For the Record" written for HuffPo by Jennifer Aniston? Have you by any chance taken a moment to look at Ashley Graham's Instagram? Well I have and I would ask that you do the same. These are just two of the many strong and amazing women out there that we should be admiring and emulating. Women who are ready to shake things up and help us empower ourselves. Women who really believe we should be ourselves and love ourselves and stop judging who we are by what we weigh or who we marry or if we're birthing.

I have to be honest, here. I've struggled with my weight for a long time. Maybe not the weight itself, but accepting my new-ish adult mom body; a body I got while I was pregnant with Casey and have basically kept for years after Christa was born. This is it, you know? Unless I really focus on every bite and every sip and really start exercising like a boss, this is the skin I am in. I never want my daughter to hear me utter one negative thing about my body. I never want her to feel the way I have for way too long, like my body determines me. My Gran used to tell my mom "She was almost as fat as you!" My mom would call the clothing departments she shopped in "The Fat Lady Section." To that I say NO MORE.

I think change is on its way. I think we have the responsibility to be healthy but not to be so focused on being perfect. I think we are ready to not only accept differences but to embrace them. Look at our Disney Princesses: Elsa didn't need a knight in shining armor to save her; Merida fought to avoid marriage. Things are changing and considering how many other problems there are in the world right now, I'd like the last thing Christa to be obsessed about is a number on a scale or a size on her clothing. I'd like her generation to figure out how to end racism and enforce gun control and find a cure for cancer. Things that matter.

Getting off my soapbox now.