7.19.2016

Book Review

I always like book review time on the blog because I look back to the last book I read - in this case in DECEMBER - and get washed over in shame realizing how long it's been since I've read a book. In my defense, for Christmas my mother bought me a Kindle despite the fact I did not want one. I loaded it with Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 sometime in January and there it sat until I finally surrendered to the electronic reader and began it I think last month. Boy is it a doozy now that I'm into it (and I'm deep into it) but I am only half way through the 1184 page tome so no review yet.
All of that brings us to The BFG by Roald Dahl. On the last day of kindergarten, my mom brought Casey to see Finding Dory and at the theater they handed out a sample of this book. I, not realizing it was only a sample, began reading it to Casey one chapter a night. When we finally figured out there was much more to the story than was given to us, we rushed right out to buy this book because I simply had to know how it ended. I'm pretty surprised that I never read this book because Roald Dahl was kind of a big deal when we were growing up. The more I think about it, though, I think I only ever actually read James and the Giant Peach and The Witches.
Almost exactly a month to the day after we started reading, sticking more or less to the chapter a night unless we didn't read at all, we finished The BFG. I'm quite proud of this because illustrations are minimal yet Casey was deeply into it. He's never been one to sit quietly and be read to, but he was actually eager to listen to this story. He also insisted we go and buy Charlie and the Chocolate Factory right away which we'll start tonight. We've not even started that one and he's already talking about wanting to read Matilda. Good stuff.
The BFG is about an orphan who wakes up to see a giant snooping in windows. He sees her watching him, kidnaps her, and takes her off to the land where he and nine other man-eating giants live. BFG is not a fan of eating "human beans" so he and Sophie the orphan hatch a plan where they plant a dream in the Queen of England's sleep and recruit her to stop the other nine giants. It's a very silly story with lots of talk about farts and burps but it's also quite dark at times considering there are man-eating giants as the main plot line. BFG speaks in a very nonsensical way that Casey really enjoyed and hung on to despite being practically impossible to understand. While I enjoyed this book, it didn't really have a fairy tale quality to it that I wanted. The descriptiveness was thorough and rich but maybe I just got too hung up on BFG's gibberish and found it distracting. The build up was clever but the resolution was sort of anticlimactic in a way. I will admit, though, in reading the very last few lines, my heart did feel that magical tingle.

1 comment:

Coodence said...

Roald Dahl was a trip. He wrote a grown up book too, but I couldn't get through it.