5.10.2016

Movie Review

Last Monday my mom wanted a day date so we had lunch and saw a matinee of The Boss. I love Melissa McCarthy because she delivers the bluest lines with the sweetest face. She could probably read me a phone book and I'd die laughing so I agreed to go. Because I no longer subscribe to the E-Dub, I'm sorely out of touch with everything and didn't know anything about this movie. Just prior to departure, I looked up the Rotten Tomatoes rating and I have to say I was not impressed. I mean, 1 star? 19%? That's terrible. But mom wanted to go so we went.
Maybe it's because I was running on zero sleep but I laughed very hard watching this movie. Very hard. Don't get me wrong, it's by no means a good movie. The plot line is cliche at best: McCarthy's character is a very rich entrepreneur who is jailed for insider trading a'la Martha Stewart and once released has no one and nothing and has to work her way back to the top. There are over-the-top fight scenes (one involving the equivalent of two girl scout troops), bad jokes, a ridiculous "romance" between McCarthy and Peter Dinklage from Game of Thrones and the language is as foul as can be. Didn't matter. McCarthy and Kristen Bell have great comedic chemistry that made it all very tolerable. And as the credits rolled, I saw that it was produced by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay and it all made sense. Maybe watch it if it's on cable sometime and you're sleep deprived. It won't necessarily disappoint it just wont necessarily impress either.

No comments: