8.26.2015

Changes

Yesterday a friend of mine who works for Honda was bored at work and asked me to entertain her by filling out a credit application to buy a car. Because I didn't have much to do, I agreed. It turns out I have a pretty high credit score and she was immediately interested in making me a deal. I made an outrageous request that would rid me of the burden that was the Flex, zero money down and payments at $100 less per month than we were currently paying. To my surprise, she said she could do it. The problem was, I didn't want a Honda and told her so.
The Flex is a great car and I loved it but we had two other car payments rolled up in it and our monthly payment was astronomical. We still owed well over $12k on it. It was a 2009 with 75k miles so costly repairs would be on the horizon. It was bought at a time where I had to haggle for 5 hours just to get ripped off at the end because my credit score was probably not as great and Husband's was definitely crap. The Flex was a wee black mark on our otherwise wise decision making as far as family purchases go.
Husband has wanted a truck for as long as I have known him. Since I drive "the purple car", a Nissan Rogue I inherited from my dad, I knew the next car would have to be a pickup for him. Turns out, Honda had a used extended cab Toyota Tacoma on the lot. It was a 2014 owned by one owner who had put less than 6k miles on it. It was starting to be too good to be true so when she said she'd meet all my conditions at a monthly payment of about $120 less than I was paying, I knew we should snatch it up.
I ran the proposition past my mom and my boss and they agreed that it not only sounded too good to be true but that it would be wise to act on it quickly. Husband and I got to the dealership at 6:30 and Alan gave us the keys for a test drive. Since my father-in-law's name is Allen and that is also Husband and Christa's middle name I was already feeling good about things. Then Alan whipped out his clipboard and it had "0777" on the bottom. Lucky 7s. Another omen. The car rode great and looked brand new; I'm talking clean as whistle. The price was right and we were ready.
There was ZERO haggling so I was home at 8:30 with a practically brand new pickup. Two hours! Unheard of in car purchasing land! The burden of the Flex is gone (along with some pretty great memories). Husband has a new truck. Casey is thrilled to have a "truck like uncle" and I'm thrilled that I could make this happen. Hooray for good things. All in all, a pretty eventful Tuesday (which also happened to be the 8-year anniversary of the first day Husband and I met face to face).



No comments: