7.09.2015

Double Feature

Since Husband and I had Friday off thanks to the holiday, we decided to take Casey, my niece and my nephew to see Inside Out. I cry at every single Disney and/or Pixar movie so I knew I was going to be in real trouble when Amy Poehler was quoted as saying this movie would make you "cry your balls off" and Mindy Kaling said she basically wept nonstop throughout reading the script. The movie is about an 11-year old girl named Riley who moves from the Midwest and has to leave her awesome old life behind to start over fresh in the big city of San Francisco. Inside her mind trying to make sense of this whole thing are Anger, Joy, Disgust and Sadness and a little make-believe buddy named Bing Bong. I'm happy to report the 8-year old and the 4-year olds really enjoyed this movie despite its emotional depth and pretty deep concepts. I loved it. I think it will inspire many a conversation about feelings for a long time to come. Shortly after we left the theater, Casey started talking about his tiny feelings so I know kids "get it" even at such a young age. I will warn you though, the I Lava You short prior to the movie will rip your heart out of you body and leave you destroyed. My God. I mean, I was crying the next day talking about it in my kitchen with BFF. Hell, I cried when she DESCRIBED it to me a week before. Yeah, I loved it.

And because I'm always dragging Husband to cartoons and girly musicals, I actually acknowledged that he needs a good old manly man action packed movie to break things up a bit. I'm going to be honest with you here, I have been terrified of dinosaurs since Jurassic Park came out 22 years ago. Each sequel has terrified me and to this day I will not watch them if they are on TV. When I was in my twenties I remember watching a video in my apartment with my boyfriend and actually running to hide in my bathroom during one very intense chase scene. I know dinosaurs pose no real danger to me but UGH the chasing and the lizardly violence. It's all bad. That being said, on Sunday I accompanied my uncle and Husband to see Jurassic World and prior to it starting I warned both of them that there was a very good chance I would end up beating one or both of them to death during the viewing of the film. You see, I can't just watch a movie, I have to actively participate in it so I was fighting the shit out of some dinosaurs. I jumped and I flinched and leaned in and cowered. True to my word, I left the theater exhausted but am happy to report no physical damage was done to the men sitting on either side of me. This movie is not going to win any Best Screenplay or Best Acting awards but it is most definitely everything you need in a summer blockbuster: seamless CGI, hints of claws and teeth and danger, camouflaged dinosaurs jumping out of trees, explosions, weapons, chases, destruction and blood! Plus I got the added eye-candy of Chris Pratt. I still can't believe sweet and doughy Andy Dwyer is a bad-ass comic book hero, action figure now. Such a hunk.

No comments: