6.10.2015

This Is The End

Husband and I finished Daredevil and we were not ready to jump into another series quite yet so we decided to order This Is The End from Time Warner to give the old Netflix a break. When this movie came out in 2013, roughly the equivalent of 100 years ago, my brother insisted we watch it because it was so funny. Considering the cast has been in many of my favorite movies of the past, I'm surprised we didn't get around to watching it until now. Now that I have seen it, however, I can say that I'm not exactly impressed with the time or $2.99 I will never get back.
The movie starts off well enough with Jay Baruchel visiting Seth Rogen, both Canadian natives whose friendship has changed thanks to Hollywood fame. Seth wants to bring Jay to a party at James Franco's house despite Jay's hesitation to mingle with the celebrity element there. The party itself is ripe with cameos and some hilarity that gave me high hopes for the rest of the film. However, once most of them are wiped out thanks to the arrival of the biblical end of times, the whole thing kind of just loses speed and goes off into directions unexpected. I simply wasn't expecting there to be actual demons and exorcisms involved in this movie or for it to fork off into such religious territory but boy did it. I guess what I'm saying is, unless you want to utter the words "what the hell are we watching?" multiple times over the course of nearly two hours, this one may not be for you.

MORAL OF THAT STORY: Don't take movie recommendations from stoners unless you are currently a stoner yourself.

No comments: