5.06.2015

Vieja

I'm very much a creature of habit which I find to be helpful considering my OCD tendencies. I have the same routines I do every morning to get ready and every night before I go to sleep because I have found them to be quite effective in keeping me organized and efficient. I firmly believe my children have flourished from this predictability because for the most part we keep very regular times for meals, naps, baths and bedtimes. Casey knows that after school we kill some time at the park, go home for dinner, hop into the bath, do homework, chill with the TV for a bit and then brush teeth to go to bed. Last night, after his show was done, he was the one to tell me it was his bedtime!
That being said, we have a route we follow every morning that we hardly deviate from unless there is a road closure. On the way to Maria's, every weekday morning, we pass the same little old lady who is usually outside sweeping her driveway. She seemed to give off a melancholy vibe so one day, out of the blue, I waved to her. I swear to you, her face lit up and she waved back happily. Ever since then, every time I see her outside I wave to her. Only recently, I started looking in the rear-view mirror while driving away and have noticed this tiny abuela is making the sign of the cross behind me. It's been a long time since I was religious or spiritual but I have to admit I genuinely feel blessed that this tiny woman is taking time out of her day to pray over me. I'll take all the extra help I can get and the good lord knows no one's got God's ear more than an abuela.

MORAL OF THAT STORY: "No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." - Aesop

1 comment:

Coodence said...

you said it babe. and you know i will weep.