5.07.2015

The Fault In Our Stars

I know I am behind in reading when the last two books I have read have already been made into movies. Perhaps the motivation to choose these books is that they have been out long enough to hear the kind of buzz to warrant the read with the added bonus of them being available in paperback by the time I get around to buying them. The Fault in Our Stars became a "must read" for me when Husband and I stumbled upon the MTV Movie Awards a few months ago and the film based on the book basically swept that whole program. What a sad statement to write. I'll fluff it up a bit to say that I also wanted to read it because my niece, Deirdre (along with everyone else in America her age), sort of loved the ever living heck out of it.
A couple of my friends who have read or seen Stars said that they cried a lot and that I would likely just die from crying because of the sad. I mean, the book is about kids with cancer falling in love. Perhaps I should have cried more but I didn't much. I only really found myself welling up on two occasions. The first occasion was when I thought of how awful the parents of these sick children had it. My parents watched their first-born struggle with and succumb to cancer so that plus the experience of actually being a parent myself made that suffering hit close to home. The second occasion was prompted by Hazel and Augustus speaking of the love they had found in one another. Whenever a love like that is spoken of, my mind immediately wanders to thoughts of Husband. I imagined losing him to cancer and how that would affect me. Maybe I shouldn't try to personalize and internalize the books I read or the shows I watch but I am definitely guilty of this offense.
Young, high-school love is a genre I'm quite fond of but I didn't really feel the anticipated teenage angst in this one despite all the ... well, cancer and dying. It was not difficult to get swept up in Green's story-telling and I was finished reading within a few days. His description of Amsterdam certainly nudged me into wanting to travel there. I guess I would have liked a little more explanation as to why Augustus and Hazel felt such a deep love because I didn't quite feel the connection on the level I should have. The primary connection I grasped was that they both happened to have cancer but why was he so immediately drawn to her? One more tiny gripe: I'm not sure I can say I have ever heard young people using the advanced vocabulary featured in the dialogue. More than once I found myself,  a well-read adult, wishing I'd had a dictionary nearby. Other than that, Stars absolutely seems to warrant its popularity amongst the younguns.

No comments: