5.20.2015

TeeVee

This year has been a rough one for me as far as television goes. Glee, Parks & Recreation and Mad Men all came to their end. The Mindy Project was canceled. Tom Bergeron bid farewell to America's Funniest Videos after fifteen years in my life. I have shed a tear or two, it's true. Luckily, I have Netflix. Orange is the New Black is back next month. And for now, there is Daredevil. Husband is a huge fan of podcasts and one podcast he listens to is Kevin Smith's who happens to be a big time comic book guy so he heard about this program. Since I, too, am down with the superhero, Husband sort of forced this show on me. He basically insisted I watch the first two episodes and now every time we have had a moment, guess what pops up on the TV?
This is essentially that critically panned Ben Affleck movie only better. I can't say that for fact as I have not seen the movie, but that is the word on the streets. Essentially, Matthew is a blind lawyer by day, crime fighter by night. It takes place in Hell's Kitchen after Loki's destruction in The Avengers so crime is rampant in the streets. It's very dark and gritty and everyone seems to be speaking in forceful yet hushed tones. Since Husband is hard of hearing, we watch with subtitles and there is a lot of colorfully descriptive "Bones Crunching" type adjectives on the screen at any given time. Lots of blood and realistic violence.
Somehow, I am totally okay with Superman flying and Bruce Banner transforming into Hulk and rich people like Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark buying their way superhero status with a bunch of tech but the suspension of disbelief needed for me to accept a blind man fighting crime is simply too much. Matthew is BLIND but he can run through the streets of New York at warp speed and parkour his way up the sides of building to save someone. He can magically hone in on the sound of a ticking watch and identify a person using only this sound and then proceed use this sound to track him across town. From what Husband tells me, it will soon be revealed how he came to do this but it better be a good damned story for me to buy it. We've already learned he can take a punch like a champ and fight like the dickens because his dad was a professional boxer.
Does that mean I dislike Daredevil? Not at all. Right now Rosario Dawson and Vincent D'Onofrio are stealing the scene with their acting chops. Four or so episodes in, the storyline is actually quite gripping and I'm looking forward to being forced into watching more. There are villains galore plus it's New York, a city I love to see on screen. But the blind thing and the fact that I can't help but see Christine's husband sometimes when I look at Matthew, is making it hard for me.

No comments: