1.15.2015

This Old House

Yesterday I talked about snowballs in regards to debt. Today I will talk about snowballs in regards to the shenanigans in my house. See this?
This little moisture here is what led me to discover there was a leak behind the washer and dryer.
See this?
This is what happens when your brother rips your wall open when you tell him there is a leak behind the washer and dryer. It seems harmless enough, nothing a little drywall and paint won't fix. But no. It's never that easy. See this?
This is the crack in the wall behind my shower that water was draining out of and on to the concrete in our back yard. It all looks so easy to fix but apparently it's not. Since there was some repair work that needed to be done and some visible damage, I decided to call the home insurance people to see if some of this was covered. They took a walk around and did their assessment and they determined I would be eligible for some funds. When they realized the house was built in 1974, around the same time asbestos use was being phased out of construction, they decided they needed to run some tests. On Tuesday night, some tests were run on our walls and yesterday I got a call confirming those tests were positive for asbestos.
Apparently tomorrow morning some environmental team is coming out to assess what needs to be done to get the walls and carpet dried and treated so things can be safely removed and replaced without exposing us to asbestos. Luckily this is all covered so I'm not going to have to pretend I have the money to pay for any of this. Also, the insurance company basically will be paying us the equivalent of rent to evacuate our house while this repair work is being done. It all makes me very nervous, you know? Because of the kids. And honestly, the idea of walls being torn down and all the repairs that need to be done all makes me kind of sick to my stomach. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's getting taken care of but it's still very stressful. This is my home. My safe place. And currently it's all upside down.

2 comments:

Joshua Duncan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joshua Duncan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.