10.15.2014

DIY Halloween!

For some reason Casey has been obsessed with Frankenstein this Halloween and decided that was the costume he wanted. I found one on E-Bay and he's stoked and I can't wait to see him in it. Since I have decided to participate in the Trunk-or-Treat at his school, I thought it would be cool to dress like the Bride of Frankenstein. First thing first: the hair. I found this DIY tutorial via Google and decided to take a chance on it. I went to the store this morning and purchased the following:
  • black poster board
  • 300 cotton balls
  • black costume hair spray since getting your hands on actual spray paint requires way too much effort.
Luckily we have a hot glue gun here in the office and it's nice and dead so I was able to get this all done in about an hour with Casey being none the wiser. I wrapped the poster board around my head for size and then cut it down to about half of the length. Next, I cut one end into flaps to fold over so the top would lie flat. This gave me a nice cylinder to work with so I cut what resembled a hairline and proceeded to glue just a few shy of the 300 cotton balls I purchased to the poster board. I recommend putting the glue directly on to the poster board and adding the cotton balls rather than trying to glue each individual cotton ball. I ended up with this (and some scary eyes):
Not too shabby right? Then I found a lightning bolt online and cut it out to lie on the sides of the wig before spray painting the whole thing black. Nothing too fancy, you know. I just don't trust myself to freehand.
I took that cotton ball wig outdoors and sprayed away and look what I walked away with!
Pretty good right?I think my lightning bolts are a little off-center and I'll need to do some touch ups but whatever. I will say this thing is a little heavier than I thought it would be but I think it looks great. I spent about $28 for the supplies and a make-up kit. So it's not exactly cheap to do but whatever. Tomorrow? I think I'll bring in an old sheet and try to make a dress. Yup. Working hard.

3 comments:

Lurker Girl said...

That is totally sweet! Good Mom--I award you ALL points!

Christine said...

I love it! Wish I had the time to be crafty with you!

Destiny said...

Great job, Randi!