9.25.2014

Go Blue

Last night the Dodgers clinched the National League West and I can only imagine how happy this would have made my dad. That man had been a diehard fan since those boys were back in Brooklyn. His dedication to his team was so strong it rubbed off on his offspring, for goodness sakes. So many of my memories of him involve the Dodgers in some shape or form, whether it be the games we attended together, the LA cap or polo shirt he always seemed to wear, or listening to him cuss them out on TV even when they were winning. There's a reason they call it a blue streak, I think.
It's because of my dad that I have a "birthday game" at Chavez Ravine every year. My dad was with me at Dodger Stadium when Husband proposed. My dad was there when I got on the jumbo tron. My dad and the Dodgers - for me - may as well be one in the same.Yesterday I asked my boss if I could have seats to the playoffs from our office's season tickets if the Dodgers got there. Before I went to sleep, I saw they were winning and all of that must have seeped into my subconscious because I got a dream out of it.
I dreamed that Husband and I were at a hotel waiting to go to this playoff game and we were supposed to give two of the tickets away to this lady and her daughter. It turned out that they had tickets already so I called my dad to see if he wanted to go. His phone went to voice-mail and the message said he was at a doctor's appointment. I tried my mom and couldn't get a hold of her either. For some reason, I had to go down to move our car so I took the elevator down and when the doors opened, there were my folks waiting in the lobby to come with us to a game. I rarely dream about my dad so when I saw him sitting there in his Dodger pullover that he always wore to games, my heart just swelled. It felt so real and I simply can't put into words how good it was to see him. Even as I type this, I have to take a deep breath because I'm just overcome. I'd like to think he knew how much I needed to see him, to celebrate that moment with him, and he showed up on purpose. I can't tell you how much I hope the Dodgers don't fuck this up for him and if they were to actually win the World Series this year, that would just be it for me. For him. Here's to hoping.

2 comments:

Christine said...

I, too, remember your Dad cursing a blue streak at the Dodgers before I could even understand a word (or the game itself). I'm so glad you saw him. I know how much you miss him. xoxo

Coodence said...

LOVE!!!!