9.24.2014

A Book Review - WTF, Right!?

Ohmygosh you guys. The last time I finished a book was in January of 2013. Do you know how ashamed I am to type that? I long for the days when I used to devour book after book, week after week but almost two years has passed. That means way too much time is spent on Entertainment Weekly and the mother-effing internet. Yuck. Anyway, last week I got tired of looking at BJ Novak's One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories sitting on the back of my toilet and I swore I would finish it. And I did. In like three days. Thank goodness it was slow at work. 
The last four books I read prior to this one have essentially been compilations of short stories so I will try to branch out on the next one but in the meantime, this has been a pretty good genre for me. It took me months of potty reading to really get into this book because it was a little too weird at first, I think. These weren't short stories in the way I was used to them, like how David Sedaris pretty much writes essays. Some of these short stories were only a couple lines long like the one that simply said:
"I was sad that summer was over.
But I was happy that it was over for my enemies, too." 
My brain kind of couldn't wrap around that idea but once I got into it I found myself really enjoying them. 
BJ Novak was a writer (and actor) for The Office, which was one of my all-time favorite shows. He also wrote (and guest starred) in an episode of The Mindy Project - another of my favorites. I swear that I and the rest of their fan base wants him and Mindy Kaling to just be romantically together in real life and cut the shit but that's a story for another day. As a writer, he really has an amazing talent setting so many different voices and mood tones. Some of the stories were snarky, some romantic, some silly, some quite thought provoking. The one that stands out in my mind right now though, is a story called The Comedy Central Roast of Nelson Mandela. He was able to really nail the speaking patterns of well-known comedians (Jeffrey Ross, Sarah Silverman, Gilbert Gottfried, Lisa Lampanelli), so much so that I could actually "hear" their voices in my head and I just don't know that many people can actually nail something like that like he did. 
But I guess you'll just have to read it yourself to understand what the heck I'm trying to say. I would go ahead and recommend this book for a regular potty reader for sure. Makes it last longer. And that's a compliment.

3 comments:

Lurker Girl said...

Here is a good book and quick read--and now I'm am stoked to see the movie this weekend. Read "This is where I Leave You". I really LOL'd in some places and it was a nice read. It's hard to work full time, work at home full time and be the Mommy...reading take a back seat. I miss it too!

libelletage.com said...

I love the Mindy Project too! It's so hard to read with small kids (or school)

Christine said...

I tried to read this - checked it out from the library and then realized it was only a 7 day loan. No way I can finish a book in 7 days! Good job, mama!