8.11.2014

Movie Review Monday

Remember all the plans I told you I had for the weekend on Haiku Friday? Only one of them came to fruition thanks to Casey coming down with some crazy random tummy bug that had him on the potty pretty much all day on Saturday. I lost track around thirty flushes, poor fella. Sunday was better but we wanted to take it super easy so the only time we left the house all weekend was to see a matinee of Guardians of the Galaxy. Casey has been pretty obsessed with the idea of this movie and has seen the trailers about a million times but I'll admit I was apprehensive about taking a nearly-four-year old to a PG-13 movie.
While there is definitely some "language" in this movie, it's not much different from what he hears coming out of my mouth on any given day. The violence is no more than what he watches in his superhero cartoons on TV. It's nonstop action but beyond that, I laughed my butt off. I was telling Husband, this is a sci-fi-ish superhero movie but it didn't try to be all futuristic and unapproachable. It was totally silly and just all around awesome. I think the soundtrack really set a lighthearted and fun tone that made it all seem sort of unable to be dated despite it being set in present day time, if that makes sense.
I've been in love with Chris Pratt for years thanks to the loveable, doughy goof he plays on Parks & Recreation, but as Starlord, Andy Dwyer turns into a bona fide movie star. He's so dang charming (and handsome and ripped!) and I can absolutely see where the Harrison Ford/Han Solo comparisons are coming from. It seems silly to say, but I was absolutely smitten with Groot (who is basically a tree). Casey was enamored with Rocket the Raccoon. Drax the Destroyer was so very funny and totally huge. I didn't exactly care about Gamora, though. Sorry. I wish I did because I think the girls need someone to look up to but she was just not the one for me.
Casey loved this movie a whole lot, as did Husband and I. Casey even turned around mid-film and informed me he wanted the Guardians of the Galaxy Legos for his birthday. Sold! Anyway, talk about a summer blockbuster. Go see it. I'm offering a money back guarantee. Seriously. I literally wanted to watch it again immediately.

And since there should be at least one weekend picture, here is one I took of the boy in the lobby of the theater because he loves the Ninja Turtles. I think he's over me taking his picture all the time. What do you think?

2 comments:

dirkmancuso said...

I couldn't agree more about Chris Pratt making the leap into bona fide movie star. He took a character that could've been a real a-hole and made him crazy charming (and wicked hawt).

Loved Groot and was surprised by how good Dave Batista was as Drax but like you, I wasn't feeling the love for Gamora (I just can't with Zoe Saldana after that ROSEMARY'S BABY mini-series mess this year).

Marvel definitely is on a winning streak with their movies (now if only they could get the rights to Spiderman, The X-Men and The Fantastic Four back...).

Coodence said...

Yah dude. I loved it too. It was laugh out loud funny. Babe called it "corny" and I think that's a good word for it. I loved it.