6.04.2014

Double Knots

On Friday morning I went in for my tubal ligation. I arrived at the surgery center at 10 a.m. and was parched. It seems I can go a long time without eating but not drinking after midnight is very difficult for me. I found myself letting my saliva build up in my mouth so I could swallow it to quench my thirst. Husband brought me there but I told him he could just go do other things because I really wanted to read in peace. I think it really says something that the only quiet time I get is when I'm going in for a procedure.
The nurses and the anesthesiologist were very friendly. At no point did I feel nervous or anxious. I was wheeled back to the operating room after about an hour and a half and before I knew it I was waking up in the recovery room about forty-five minutes later. For some reason, I had a very hard time coming out of my anesthesia this time around and spent most of the day feeling a little out of sorts and groggy. I took a bit of a nap in the afternoon but it didn't alleviate it. The worst part of the whole thing was the taste in my mouth. I guess they put a tube in my throat so I could breathe but it left my mouth tasting burnt. It definitely didn't allow me to enjoy my post-op lunch of a double-double and fries from In-N-Out, washed down with a Neapolitan shake.
I had spoken to my OBGYN about how this procedure would affect my breastfeeding Christa and he said it shouldn't. When he asked if I wanted prescription pain killers, he said the effect on her would be minimal and pain relief would be preferable. I've struggled with this after having a couple beers sometimes and the idea of pumping and dumping. I hadn't done that since Casey and didn't really see the point of it. The nurses were pretty adamant that I pump and dump up to 12 hours after my anesthesia so Christa had formula and at 8pm, after she went to sleep, I pumped and dumped about 6 ounces of milk.
She woke up at around midnight to nurse and I suddenly had this fear that the pumping and dumping I had done wasn't really 12 hours later. Would I be drugging the baby? I started to sort of panic after I had fed her and ended up googling La Leche League to calm my nerves. Basically, they believe that if a mother is awake and coherent, the concentration in your milk is not enough to affect the baby. They totally disagree with the pump and dump. This is very good to know, you know? Because now I don't need to feel all guilty after a couple of beers. Because I'm not drunk and Christa won't be either.
Back to the procedure, however. I was a little uncomfortable for the weekend and took it really easy. My son has a knack of finding where I hurt and that being the target area so there was a lot of deflecting of the Casey. When I would burp Christa after feeding her, her little toe would inevitably find its way into my belly button. That's where the incision is, by the way, so I won't even have a cool surgery scar to boast. All sealed up with a glue strip that looks like ointment (pictured below so be forewarned) It's Wednesday and the soreness is all but gone despite my belly button turning a lovely shade of chartreuse.
I have zero doubts or regrets doing this. I'm so happy with my two kiddos. I'm looking forward to spontaneous, unprotected sex without fear of pregnancy. I'm so elated to never have to take another pill or put another ring in. Condoms are nonexistent. It's all just so damn wonderful. And if you're squeamish, don't check out my picture below. That's what belly button rings, babies and a tubal do to your once taught little tummy. HAHA!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

1 comment:

D said...

Mine looked similar. My belly button is forever a little different.