5.07.2014

Must Watch Wednesday

If there is one thing I didn't do enough of on maternity leave, it would be binge-watching series I haven't seen before. At the last possible moment, I read an article about Orange is the New Black in Entertainment Weekly and decided I should give it a try since there has been so many good things said about it. I started watching it on Tuesday the 29th and finished it on the 3rd. 13 hours of television in 5 days. That says it all, doesn't it?
This show is unlike any show I have ever seen before. The writing is brilliant and can be gut-wrenching or utterly hilarious. The actresses are all extraordinary and totally fall outside of the look we are used to seeing on basic cable. The story telling and character development are so compelling. The only thing I didn't like about it was that there was only one season! I have to wait until June 6 for the second season to begin! Thankfully, the other day, these 5 minute schnippets showed up on my Netflix menu called "Orange is the New Black: Behind the Bars" and I got to have a little bit of a fix watching the actors who play the main characters talk about why they love the show. 
In case you haven't heard, this series is based on book about a real life occurrence. This lady had gotten involved with another lady who was in the drug trade. She had smuggled some money years earlier and was later indicted for her crime and sentenced to prison time after she had long since moved on with her life. The author and the character in both is named Piper. Oh, Piper. I don't know anything about the book but on this show she is a hot mess. My brother, who I also got hooked on the show, said if I was in prison, I'd be Piper. I don't want to say too much about this other than if you're not watching it, you should be. It's what all shows should be.

2 comments:

Coodence said...

Dude! Sounds great.

Jess @ Chaos + Love said...

I keep hearing I need to watch this show, but it's gonna have to wait until I get through the HUGE back up on my DVR.