3.24.2014

Movie Review Monday

This weekend I did something I never thought I would do: I brought my one-month old daughter to the movies. I think it's fitting, however, that it was Muppets Most Wanted because why shouldn't her first movie be a Muppet Movie? You never realize just how loud it is in a theater until you have a baby in there with you. It didn't seem to phase her, though; she slept through the whole thing and never cried or caused a scene so I didn't have to be "that mom."
I've been so excited for this movie to come out because it not only stars my favorite puppet creations, but also the incomparable Tina Fey. It's hard to believe The Muppets came out 3 years ago! Seems like only yesterday Casey was begging to have that soundtrack played on repeat every time we were in the car. I knew it would be a tough act to follow but they seemed to have really nailed the sequel despite the opening sequence song that basically stated sequels are never as good as the first film (despite this being like the 7th Muppet film). Speaking of songs? All of them were absolutely wonderful and I wouldn't mind listening to them ad nauseam should either of my children request it.
That being said, Casey was very upset that Kermit was a bad guy. Of course, it wasn't Kermit but a doppelganger named Constantine but you try explaining that to a three-year old. Casey has been to several movies now but this is the first time he ever crawled on my lap, buried his head into my chest and told me "I don't want to watch this movie any more." I think it's very hard to see a beloved character not being so beloved plus this movie was pretty dark what with the heists and gulags and what have you. We had many a lengthy discussion at home about Constantine, I will tell you that. I loved it but maybe three was too young for this particular movie. I'm not a Modern Family viewer but Ty Burrell really stole the show. It didn't hurt that he was side by side with one of my favorite Muppets, Sam The Eagle, for most of his scenes.
Yeah. What can I say? I'm a big fan of the rebirth and resurgence of the Muppets. I hope they keep up the good work they are doing with the new generation so I have an excuse to continue with my childish devotion. I mean, I even wore a Muppets shirt and we went on opening weekend. I'm almost 37. I hope I'm never, ever too old for these felt friends.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I am almost 42 and have zero kids. I went to the see this movie and never ever once wondered for a second if I'm "too old" to go.

If you don't have that thought in your mind, it will never come to pass.

I'm very wise.