2.25.2014

Christa Tuesday - Week 1

"Tuesday's child is full of grace" applies for both my babies it seems. We got home from the hospital on Thursday at noon and it's been a pretty smooth transition so far. Betty is on duty watching her and protecting her. Casey wants to hold her toes constantly and will remove her socks just to see her "tiny toadies." He's trying to be a good helper with diapers and putting her clothes in her hamper and things like that. She's a good sleeper and hardly cries, mostly just will let out a tiny "Ah!" when she's hungry. She grunts more than anything. At night she wakes in 2.5 hour intervals and seems to be a good pee'er and pooper with a hearty appetite.
We've been doing very well in the breast feeding department. She latched on right after she was born and has done well ever since. The day after she was born she didn't eat for almost the whole day but had a steady soiled diaper and seemed to be spitting up amniotic fluid so there was little concern. On the 21st we took her for her first pediatrician visit and she was down to 7 lbs 14 oz from 8 lbs 5 oz and the doctor was quite impressed with her only having a slight weight loss. She's 48% in weight and 87% in height right now. We go back tomorrow for another weigh in. I call her the boobie badger because of the faces she makes when she goes to eat. I call her Stink most other times because she just has a look on her face at all times like she disapproves - I think it's the down-turned corners of her mouth, just like Grandma Friday's.
As for me, I'm down to 199 lbs as of this morning. I'm feeling pretty good considering it's been a week since she was born without an epidural. And yes, I will continue to bring that up for a while. Here's my birth story:
On Monday night at midnight Casey was coughing so hard I called his pediatrician and she recommended the ER. He fell asleep shortly thereafter so we didn't go but no one really slept. Tuesday at 9am I had an appointment with the OBGYN and was still at 1cm just like Thursday. He stimulated my cervix/plucked my membrane - whatever you want to call it - and I was on my way with a plan to go back at 2pm to see if anything was happening. Husband dropped me off at home and took Casey to the pediatrician at 10am who then sent Casey for chest x-rays to rule out pneumonia. Goodness.
I was at home and having contractions half an hour after they left. Husband came home in time to have some lunch and we were back at the doctor at 2pm. Doc said I "looked different, like I was working" and determined I was at 3cm. He sent me to the hospital so I could get checked in and get my epidural going. A friend of mine is the head nurse at the L&D part of the hospital and she was helping me check in at about 2:30pm but there were seven other babies born that morning and there were no rooms! Just like Mary and Joseph and baby Jesus. Ha!
I spent about an hour in the hallway, laboring in a wheel chair and laughing with Husband about it until they got us into the delivery room. My contractions were rapid and strong and I requested the epidural a lot of times but was told I needed to wait on blood lab work. The hell? Contractions were coming so fast I had to get a shot to slow them down so they wouldn't hurt Christa. Next thing I know I'm being told the doctor would be there in 10 minutes because I would be having the baby (without an epidural). Never in my life have I known pain like that. It was like I was making up for not feeling a thing with Casey.
Know what I don't know how to do? Push a baby out. They kept saying to imagine I was pooping but I don't poop with my kneecaps near my earlobes. Sorry! I was sort of reprimanded for not keeping the air in my lungs as I pushed but I kind of needed to expel the air to scream and curse lest I die. I don't think I pushed for more than 15 minutes, maybe about 6 strong pushes. I told Husband I felt like I was pooping and he said I did. Twice. And then she was born. And the pain subsided. Doc never had a chance to put on the surgery greens she came so fast.
I sure do like this little lady.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

1. I'm glad you shared your birth story because I was going to send you an email asking for it today. True story!

2. I'm glad you included the poop. Twice.

3. YAY!!!

Coodence said...

love this whole entire thing in its entirety.

just like joseph!!

Hung said...

AWESOME for all of you!

Everybody poops. It's hilarious.

Lisa..... said...

Congratulations! She is so pretty and looks liike your husband. I had both my kids epidural-less, so yay for us! Glad you guys are doing well.

Destiny said...

Trust me, Randi, You're not the only pooper! I enjoyed your birth story. I really can't imagine NOT having an epidural! I felt enough with one, let alone without! I hope you get special blessings for that :)