10.08.2013

Long Overdue Movie Review

I can't even remember the last time we saw something in the theater that wasn't animated but on Saturday night, Husband and I had a date to see Rush - the movie, not the band. It was his birthday so he got to pick what we saw. Race cars don't hold much appeal for me but I had read good things about this one and I don't think Ron Howard really makes a bad movie so I went into it with a positive frame of mind.
I'll start by saying Chris Hemsworth (aka Thor) is irresponsibly handsome. It's distracting. He also oozes charm and when I see his blonde hair and blue eyes I go a little mom-crazy and have fear that my son will end up being a stunner like him and start freaking out about all the women he'll go through. Yes, I know. I have a problem. When I wasn't thinking like a mom, however, I was celebrating the fact that this movie basically opened with a shot of Hemsworth's thrusting, naked ass. Something for the ladies, indeed. Giggity.
For those of you who don't know, this movie is about a rivalry that existed in 1976 between two Formula 1 racers: Brit James Hunt and Austrian Niki Lauda. Both came from wealthy families but felt destined to be race car drivers so were basically disinherited by their businessmen fathers. They had quite a bit in common although Hunt was a playboy and Lauda was extremely disciplined. Hunt passed away but Lauda had said in an EW interview that Hunt would have laughed at the hooplah made about their rivalry because in reality they were actually quite friendly. It was fun to watch on screen, either way.
The racing scenes were intense and although there were many of them, they never felt repetitive. It was very interesting to see the dynamic of the teams behind the racers and to learn a bit about the mechanics of the race cars themselves. The danger seemed palpable and I was often on the edge of my seat. I don't want to give away too much but Lauda's injuries and recovery were very graphic and made me wonder why anyone would essentially risk their lives for a trophy. I would say I recommend this movie for sure. It made for a very fun date night and made me really want to be a regular movie viewer again.

No comments: