9.18.2013

18 Down, 22 To Go

I made quite sure I was smiling in this preggo selfie just for BFF. I weighed in this morning at 217.6 lbs so a little less than last week. At the doctor's office right after lunch yesterday I was fully dressed and weighed 221 on the dot. It's nice to see that I'm being responsible in my weight gain so far this pregnancy because with Casey I gained about 60 pounds and don't want to repeat that this go 'round. I've been sure that I have good snacks lying around like hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, yogurt and fruit so that when I get my sudden bursts of hunger I don't dive into the candy dish. So far so good.
The appointment yesterday was pretty quick but my blood pressure was good and that was my main concern. I guess blood pressure is lower than usual in the second trimester so maybe that's why mine was normal? Hard to say. I'm not going to worry too much about it though. It's funny because my last visit a month ago, the doc really had to dig into my abdomen with the doppler to hear the heartbeat but yesterday he just had to put it gently on my tummy and the heartbeat was strong and loud. I like that sound. It's always a pleasant surprise to me for some reason. I guess there is the fear that it won't be there but my little peanut is still kicking ass. The results of the first trimester blood screening for abnormalities came back negative so right now my peace of mind is strong as far as the fetus is concerned.
I'm not getting much sleep for some reason and it's driving me crazy. Every little sound wakes me up (especially Husband's snoring!!!) and for some reason Casey has been a restless sleeper lately and thus affecting my ability to get any myself. I used to be able to fall right back to sleep when I woke up to pee or what have you, but not any more. Now I find myself lying there for up to an hour. It's just no bueno and I hope it passes soon although in five months I won't even know what sleep is so whatever, right?
And here's where I get stupidly emotional and selfish... My last pregnancy and during Casey's early infancy, we were really busy getting my Grandpa settled into a nursing home because he was physically ill and unable to live at home. I had to help pack up my grandparents' belongings to either be sold or to be moved into my Gran's apartment and eventually we moved into "their" house all before Casey even turned one. We actually spent our first night in that house the day my Grandpa passed away, oddly enough. Currently, it's my Gran's turn to begin her transition into assisted living because she is quickly slipping into dementia and I'm a little upset my pregnancy needs to "share the spotlight" with this sort of family drama once again. I actually had to tell my mother yesterday that I would not be as involved this time around and that the stress associated with this transition is not something I can deal with right now. I want to help my family but I think I'm just going to have to be selfish this time and really try to focus my energy solely on my kids and my husband and myself. Exhale.

2 comments:

Coodence said...

Thanks, ho!

libelletage.com said...

You look great!

Good job setting boundaries. Sometimes we have to do that.