8.12.2013

Movie Review Monday

If you keep coming here looking for grown-up movie reviews (almost said "adult movie" there but that changes everything!): I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but it doesn't seem like it's happening. I have Netflix rentals gathering dust from months of sitting there unwatched. My life has become a constant stream of children's On Demand or Netflix Streaming and DVR'd television... that is, when I'm not falling asleep at 8:30 at night or napping my weekends away. In other words, I'm a big ol' slacker when it comes to movies. I won't even begin to pretend that I read books.
This weekend, we took Casey to the movie theater to see Planes. We have had this movie on the calendar for ages and we were all really looking forward to it. It's fun to have these little family outings! Prior to actually going to the theater, we read some pretty unfriendly reviews and it was kind of bumming us out. Lots of references to this just being one big commercial and there not being jokes and sort of on and on. Husband and I both talked about how reviewers, who are mostly jaded adults, never seem to really take into consideration these movies simply were not made with them in mind. They were made because children love them and they are magical. Kids don't care if movies are formulaic; they love repetition! In other words? Haters gonna hate.
As for this hater, er... "reviewer"... I actually liked the movie quite a bit though it is totally Cars in the air. I will admit it took me a while to become invested in the characters and the story. It had a bit of a slow burn and until the actual race started, I was a little bored. Husband, however, thought the loud music and the fast flying was a totally kick-ass way to start a movie. Casey was on cloud nine the entire time but he might have been high on Reese's Pieces and popcorn so it's hard to say. It was a beautiful movie and with epic shots of colorful airplanes flying above this beautiful world of ours. I laughed a bit, especially at the Mexican airplane: Chupacabra. And naturally, because this was a Disney movie, I wept (because I'm a hormonal mess). Damn you, Disney! Casey has not stopped re-creating the movie with the Planes figurines we got him at the Disney store the day before for being a little less of a psychopath when he got his haircut on Saturday. All in all, I'd say it was a win.
Here he is with Dusty figurine in hand and Dusty shirt on. Hehe