7.08.2013

Movie Review Monday

Since Casey did such a great job at the movies last weekend we thought we would try our luck again this weekend and go see Despicable Me 2 in the theater with him. May as well milk this free admission thing for the next 6 or so weeks, right? I remember liking the first one okay but kind of being disappointed by it so I didn't have too many expectations going into the sequel aside from hoping Casey would like it and we could kill a couple hours. Gru is a big old softie dad now who has been recruited to the defeat the evil among us while going undercover as a shop-owner at the mall. The minions are still adorable. El Macho, the villain, was particularly funny. It was a fun matinee to see with my wee family. What's funny, looking back, is that I was pregnant with my son when I saw the first one and I'm pregnant now so I found myself crying once again at the themes of parenthood and family. But I also laughed a whole lot and I think I liked the sequel better than the original. Casey also really liked "The Pickle Mewmie" so I guess that's really all that matters.

We also finally got around to watching a grown-up movie from Netflix: Silver Linings Playbook. I have heard very good things about this one and really just think Jennifer Lawrence is great but I can tell you I was really impressed with all the performances beyond expectation. I was surprised I laughed as much as I did but also felt conflicted about laughing because this movie deals mainly with the very heavy theme of mental illness. Bradley Cooper's Pat is bipolar and just released from a mental hospital for nearly beating his wife's lover to death. His father, played exquisitely and subtly by Robert DeNiro, is an unemployed gambler afflicted with OCD. The the two of them living together with Pat's passive mother is essentially a recipe for disaster. I was so thrilled to see Chris Tucker come out of nowhere playing a great supporting role as Pat's friend from the mental hospital. Jennifer Lawrence killed it as a medicated and depressed young widow who recruits Pat to be her dance partner in exchange for communicating with his wife who currently has a restraining order against him. See what I mean? Heavy. Yet it's also funny and sweet and touching and sad. The dance contest was completely unexpected and I just really recommend you watch it.

2 comments:

Christine said...

I cannot wait to see SLP - it was filmed entirely in Philly, and I love to see my city represented (I thought the previews showing the Eagles games were spot on). So excited to see this!

Jessica said...

We loved Despicable Me. The other movie is on my list, but who knows when we'll get around to seeing it.