3.18.2013

Movie Review Monday

End of Watch is a perfect example of how a movie can be (in today's standards) a "mere" 109 minutes long and be ripe with a fantastic story line, have lots of realistic action and be loaded with emotion. From what I understand, this movie didn't have much of a life in theaters but it was raved about so I threw it on the queue as I am prone to do. Plus, who doesn't want to have a reason to watch Jake Gyllenhaal be a super hot cop? Lots of other familiar faces in this movie as well and Husband and I finally came to the conclusion we have never seen Michael Peña ever be less than awesome in any role we have seen him play.
The movie follows two accomplished young cops on and off their beat in ghetto Los Angeles. Gyllenhaal's character is doing a side project where he is filming his "day job" even though it goes against the cop code so it has sort of a documentary feel to it most of the time. He and Peña stumble upon some seedy human trafficking and everything sort of goes to hell. I am very glad I didn't see this in the theater because I was literally yelling at the screen and jumping out of my chair to pace around our living room. The suspense is palpable and the dialogue has a very authentic feel to it that really draws you into the deep relationship and brotherly bond that these two characters share. While it's often quite graphic and violent, it's an excellent movie and I really do recommend it if you don't mind feeling totally sick to your stomach with anticipation. Very, very good.

1 comment:

Coodence said...

Nice!

Me and Babe didn't love wreck it ralph, so I am hoping this one is good. Or, we'll watch zero dark thirty.

Don't get me wrong, I thought wreck it ralph was good but I wonder if I just watch too many cartoons now?