3.28.2013

Marriage Equality

Yesterday afternoon a "friend" on Facebook posted some picture of a man and woman saying that was the way God intended marriage. Shortly thereafter he posted some nonsense about the only reason we have genitals is to procreate not just to get off. Normally I hide shit like this or ignore it but against my better judgment I responded. Naturally, that ended up in a stupid, pointless debate with an ignorant person that would not just stay on topic. Eventually, my blood was boiling and I was pretty much sick to my stomach being faced with the ignorance that exists beyond my circle of normal, educated friends.
To give you an idea of how heated this debate got, later in the evening I got a text message from someone that said the following: "Dude, I can't believe how many ignorant people there are out there. I saw all the back and forth on V's FB post and all I can say is wow and you go girl!" For someone to take it off Facebook and bring it to me personally says quite a bit I think. I decided to put the phone down when I got home from work and came to the realization that I need to hide said individual and really make an effort to spend far less time on social networking sites when it comes to things like equal rights for homosexuals and birth control/abortion rights for women.
This blatantly highlights how people pick and choose what they want to follow in the bible. If you're going to pick this one thing and hang on to it so tightly, then behave accordingly with the other antiquated garbage that's in there. And when it comes to constitutional rights and unconstitutional discrimination, leave the bible out of it. Catholicism and Christianity do not run the United States of America, democracy and the United States Constitution do. I'm not religious and am a lapsed Catholic, but Jesus just wanted us to love one another and treat each other kindly. I think he'd be super disgusted with all the bigots out there using him and his dad to keep homosexual couples from being able to receive the benefits of marriage the rest of us are entitled to. That's what this is about. Civil rights. Human rights. Period.

3 comments:

Coodence said...

Here here! Great quote, Ho!

Christine said...

Amen, sista! I've hidden his feed long ago and I'm so much happier for it :)
xoxo

libelletage.com said...

I have backed off Facebook a lot. The whole gun debate was just lame on Facebook after the shooting. Some times you can't look at people the same after they've posted crap.