1.28.2013

Movie Review Monday

Because I feel bad asking my folks to watch Casey so we can see a practically three-hour movie, I took a half day on Friday to go with Husband to see Zero Dark Thirty. This way, I don't have to pay a sitter and Maria and Casey are none the wiser. By the way, whatever happened to a 90-minute movie? Is it really so much to ask for? Not that I'm complaining when it comes to this one though. In case you are out of the loop, this movie is about the pursuit and capture (well, assassination) of Osama Bin Laden.
The first two hours of this film are pretty tedious. According the story, Maya is an agent who was basically recruited straight out of high school to work for the CIA though we never really find out why. All she has done in her 18 years at the CIA is pursue Bin Laden. We get to see how she clings to the smallest lead almost obsessively and how it leads to the climax of her career. We also get to see some pretty questionable torture behavior from citizens of these United States to get those little leads.
There is no question as to whether this film merits its multiple Oscar nominations. It is epic story telling while simultaneously a history lesson. I walked away from seeing this feeling a lot of patriotic pride. Frankly, while the torture was unnerving to watch I feel its blatant honesty is a part of the story that needs to be told. I felt dumbfounded as to how this whole thing went down over so many years. As for Jessica Chastain, I have only ever seen her in The Help and her character in Zero Dark Thirty could not be more of a polar opposite. Just a really incredible performance. And so many familiar faces in supporting roles. I highly recommend getting a viewing in before the envelopes are opened on February 24th.

3 comments:

Coodence said...

Sounds good! I like the lady director thing, too.

We saw Argo it was good you should see it and then review it.

Andrea said...

"Argo" bored the shit out of me and reminded me of how shitty our government can be sometimes. There's my review. :)

And that is likely why I have zero desire to see this movie. I'm not a big fan of the torture methods we use, I don't feel they are effective enough to really endorse, and I have issues feeling patriotic over things like that.

Also? Yes, movies are too damned long now. If you have a good movie that is long, fine. But most movies can lose some of the stuff and be a great movie.

Christine said...

I think I'm still trying to see the Oscar nominees from 2009. Maybe I'll add this one to the list :)