1.15.2013

Book Review

"Follow seven beers with a couple of scotches and a thimble of good marijuana, and it's funny how sleep just sort of comes on its own." This tiny excerpt is only a morsel of an example of why I love David Sedaris. One of my New Years Resolutions was to read more books so I'm proud to report that I finished Me Talk Pretty One Day last night in just about two weeks. At this rate is should be able to read 26 books by the end of the year. Ell oh ell, you guys. That's totally not going to happen. I have two weeks of Entertainment Weekly to catch up on, for goodness sakes.
This is my third Sedaris book in succession (even though it's been over three months since I finished the last one!) so I'm going to try and read another author this time around but I still have two more of his books waiting on my bookshelf. The man just has a way with words. His collection of short stories is nothing more than retelling something as mundane as a French lesson yet I end up laughing so hard I literally have tears streaming down my face. Husband clearly knows I love what Sedaris has written when I read aloud to him, all the while snorting and screaming while trying to contain my laughter and remain composed enough to blurt out a sentence or seven.
Now that I'm in the groove of reading instead of watching mindless television or obsessively looking at my phone, I'm excited to see what kind of books I can burn through that have been patiently waiting on my shelves... some for years now. Shameful.

Personal Edit/Update: I read only 12 books last year... and not one a month either. Yikes. Good thing I'm working on that.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I've been going to bed a wee bit earlier so I can read every evening. Otherwise, I just sit/lay on the couch all evening watching nonsense on Netflix/Hulu Plus.

But it's been nice, this whole reading in bed thing. It's a nice way to end the day.

Once I catch up on the books I have at my house I'm going to go get a library card. Like an adult.