11.01.2012

Baked Ziti

Yesterday afternoon I got to leave early to take Casey and myself for flu shots. That process was so painless I almost felt like it was a trick. Since I was home, Husband was on the road home and my family was coming over for trick-or-treating later, I decided to make dinner. Shocking, I know. I dug into my recipe box (why I have one of these I really don't know) and found an email from my mom dated March of 2001 for baked ziti and decided I would make that since I had made it before, apparently 11-1/2 years ago. Since everyone was raving about it last night, I have decided to share it with you. Lucky.

Recipe serves 8 and preparation should begin about an hour and a half before serving.
  • 32 oz spaghetti sauce (I use Ragu but I suppose you can make your own.)
  • 16 oz package of penne noodles 
  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 15 oz ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
  • 1 egg slightly beaten
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
  • This is not a part of the recipe but I finely diced a whole lot of garlic for flavor
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. A 13" x 9" baking pan will be needed so get that ready with some non-stick spray. Cheese is sticky, y'all.
  2. In an 8-quart dutch oven, prepare the noodles per directions on the side of the box for those of us who don't know how to boil noodles. Drain. Set aside.
  3. In the same dutch oven, brown ground beef over medium heat. Stir occasionally so that the beef is nice and crumbly. Takes about ten minutes. Drain the excess fat. 
  4. Add all the ingredients except for the mozzarella to the beef along with 16 oz of your sauce and stir until well blended. Then add your noodles and blend that, too.
  5. Put that whole mixture in the pan, top with the remaining sauce and then sprinkle the mozzarella on top. Bake for about 20 minute or until you can see the cheese bubbling.
  6. This part is from my mom's original email: "Serve this with garlic bread and a nice red wine and it is a meal fit for a king or two queens." Adorable.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Instead of beef, I'll use my cat and then it will literally be a baked Ziti and nobody will think it's odd at all.

Coodence said...

Andrea: that is fucking gross. Excuse my language but even the jokey thought makes me want to die. BFF: this sounds delicious and I look forward to making it.