10.24.2012

Go Blue

As you all are well aware, my husband is a Michigananian. This means that despite a team being good, if they hail from that glorious state, we must root for them. This includes but is not limited to Detriot Tigers, Detroit Lions and University of Michigan. Apparently the state is divided, though, when it comes to rooting for Michigan State so we almost never do that. You'd be surprised how often Michigan is referred to in popular culture and just how many celebrities hail from there but that is another story for another day.
The World Series is upon us today and the Tigers are playing against the San Francisco Giants. While the Giants were still in the playoffs, my mother - a devoted Dodger fan - told me she was rooting for them because they were the other California team. Unacceptable. There is no bigger Dodger rival than the Giants. A Dodger fan is simply not allowed to do this. Then? On Facebook? Another Dodger fan said the same shit about this series. Are you fucking kidding me?
I have been to the San Francisco stadium ONCE in my life just because I would like to go to all the stadiums before I die. When we were there, we got heckled to death by the Giants fans. And not just good-natured heckling. Cuss words and middle fingers. Yeah. No thanks. I am also not an in-your-face fan. If the Dodgers are in first place or winning a series, I'm happy but not gloating. I can't say the same for the friends of mine on Facebook that root for San Francisco. Thus, I will be rooting for the Detroit Tigers tonight. Holding it down for my man and all his relatives. And secretly flipping off the Giants. Teehee.

MORAL OF THAT STORY: I bleed blue.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

OK...here's the deal. From a not really a sports fan person:

If there is a hardcore rivalry in your area in whatever sport you are involved in at the time, your team is YOUR team that you love and then any other team that plays against your rival team. That is how sports work.

So..yeah...your Dodger fans that are now for the Giants are all wrong. They really are. So says the rules of sportsfandom.