10.25.2012

Banana Bread

This bitch is in a baking mood so you get to read about it here! I have made this recipe a bazillion times and think it is super delicious and easy (like your mom) so here goes.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

In one bowl, mix:
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder (not to be confused with baking soda)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon (I suppose you could use nutmeg, too, but I haven't nor will I)
I use a whisk to mix that all together thoroughly and it adds a fluff to the flour. This is a technique I use basically every time I bake. Also? Always have your eggs and butter at room temperature. For some reason, the egg thing makes a difference. I thank Christine's mom for those tips.

In your mixer:
2/3 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar packed tightly
Make sure this is nice and creamy then add 2 eggs.
When all that is combined and lovely, add 3 pre-mashed, ripe bananas.
Finally, add your flour mixture and mix until all is married happily.

Now you can put your batter in a regular bread loaf pan or what I have been doing lately is making little breads in a muffin pan. Either way, be liberal with your use of nonstick spray. It is really a godsend.

Bake for 45 minutes. If you stick a toothpick in the middle and see you are pulling out dough, I have found that covering it in tin foil and baking for another 10-15 minutes usually solves that problem. Last night I had to bake it for an extra 25 minutes and I managed not to burn the bread so don't be afraid of putting it back into the oven multiple times for short periods until you pull out a toothpick with zero residue on it.

I happened to double this recipe last night because I had many ripe bananas. I made one plain loaf with half the mixture and with the rest I made those little muffins but added chocolate chips and chopped pecans. Deeee-licious. I highly recommend that combo.

No comments: