9.11.2012

Book Review

Crusty got me this book for my beeday in May but I clearly have not been reading like I should. I'm not sure what prompted me to pick up When You Are Engulfed in Flames out of all the other unread titles on my bookshelf, but I sure am glad I chose this one. First of all, I really like the format of short essays. Some are longer than others but all are very entertaining and some are down-right hysterical. Secondly, I love when a book leaves me screeching in laughter until tears stream down my face. I already knew his sister Amy was hilarious thanks to many episodes of Strangers With Candy so it was nice to see that comedy runs in the family.
Most of the reviews mention how wonderful David Sedaris is at making the mundane incredibly funny and basically that's what this book is: Hilarity in Daily Life. I hate to abuse the word "hilarious" but I truly can't think of a better adjective. I was anxious to finish it so that I could share it with everyone I wanted to make laugh. Sadly, Betty decided it was not only hilarious, it was also delicious and she proceeded to eat the damn thing. I immediately went out the next day and with my yard sale earnings I bought another paperpack copy as well as Me Talk Pretty One Day, Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, Squirrel Meets Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary and Barrel Fever: Stories and Essays. Looks like I'm back in the reading game!

3 comments:

Christine said...

I would also highly recommend his Christmas stories book, the name of which I can't quite recall. Also, he occasionally contributes to "This American Life", or he will sometimes read his essays, which I find to be infinitely better than reading them myself - his voice makes the story!

Coodence said...

Welcome back to the reading game! Yay!

libelletage.com said...

I love David Sedaris, I love even more listening to him read his own stories. So funny!