8.06.2012

Movie Review Monday

It took two weeks for us to finally get to the theater to see The Dark Knight Rises, the final installment of the Christopher Nolan trilogy. Opening weekend was never really an option and then tragedy struck. The following weekend I just didn't feel ready to go. Even this weekend, there was a bit of trepidation. Was it too soon? For instance, at least thrice the theater employee checked the exit doors during our viewing. Did I notice that? Fuck yes I did. Did I also wonder during each shooting scene if that was the scene during which that madman opened fire on an unsuspecting audience? Yes. I did. And each time, I felt that uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach.
Much of the cast of Inception rounds out the players in this installment of the trilogy and all of them work together seamlessly. Christopher Nolan definitely knew what he was doing by throwing them all into Batman's world. I really can't say a single bad thing about this movie. At 2 hours and 40 minutes, it has a lengthy running time but I didn't feel like it was long while I was watching it. Bane's voice was distracting in the sense that it was nearly Sean Connery-ish. The performance Tom Hardy had to provide to really make you believe him behind that mask more than made up for it though. There's so much I want to say but I don't have any words. Anne Hathaway did not let me down as Catwoman. I love Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Like the preceding two movies, I was not disappointed with the grand finale.
And as the end of the movie wrapped up, I found myself sobbing uncontrollably. That has happened before in a movie, but not for a long time. I wept at Toy Story 3 but I was also pregnant and hormonal. With Batman, as I watched his story come to an end, my heart hurt. It felt like I had just gotten news that a friend had died. Was it the story line? The characters? Was it the tragedy forever associated with the movie? I don't know. I just know I sobbed for a good 15 minutes and Husband said it was because I had gone through an emotional roller coaster as a movie viewer. I have to agree. I laughed, I cheered, I got disgusted and I was literally on the edge of my seat. I can't think of a better way to say goodbye to this very "real" Batman. A+

3 comments:

Coodence said...

this movie review is a roller coaster ride of emotion.

Andrea said...

This movie was a total roller coaster of emotion.

I was in a glass case of emotion by the end and I had to compose myself, too.

For me, I think it's just because of my perception of Batman and his character. He's just this dude with sadness inside of him who is compelled to fight for what is right and just and he does it at any cost. Any cost!

Even when shit was all hard and he went into hiding? He still came out of that when he could no longer hide and turn a blind eye. He chose humanity. He chose to risk it all and he did what was right for him to do.

It's an emotional thing to see someone willing to risk that much, you know? Some guy with a lot of money and gadgets. Someone who has lost and has more to lose. He didn't give up and live a life of neutrality.

Batman is admirable.

That movie was fucking fantastic.

Gen said...

I cried, too. I loved the ending and it makes me super excited for what could be.

I was trying to figure out who Bane sounded like. Sean Connery totally fits the voice - Thank you! :)