7.16.2012

Movie Review Monday

Let me preface this post with a couple things. I have never read a Spider-Man comic book. My only knowledge of Spider-Man is the Tobey Maguire movies and whatever pop culture influence I may have stumbled upon so I don't have a ton of geek knowledge or any of that stuff. That being said? I fucking love Spider-Man. How dope would it be to all of a sudden realize you had super powers? Batman and Iron Man, they're dope and all but basically they're just rich, older dudes that want to fight crime. I mean, minus that thing in Tony Stark's chest but that doesn't really give him superpowers, it just keeps him alive. But Peter Parker? All of a sudden he can climb walls and has super strength and that must just kick so much ass.
I liked the first Tobey movie really a lot and liked the following two okay but I was still super excited to see what they were going to do with the re-booted franchise. Just because we know an origin story doesn't mean it can't be done again. Take for instance Tim Burton's Batman and Christopher Nolan's Batman, right? Totally different takes on the very same story, both incredible and both holding a very special place in this movie-viewer's heart.
We finally got to see The Amazing Spider-Man yesterday afternoon. Emma Stone is going to have a long career as an amazing actress. Her comedic timing is just perfect and I adored her as Gwen Stacy. The love story she shares with Peter Parker simply melted my heart. Denis Leary as her dad, Captain Stacy of the NYPD, was just a perfect choice as were Sally Field as Aunt May and Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben. Nailed it. I had my doubts about Andrew Garfield because the only thing I had ever seen him in was Social Network and he didn't really leave that strong of an impression on me. However, as Peter Parker and Spider-Man, he blew the roof off the mutha-sucka! I can basically say I fell in love with him. Perfect, perfect, perfect.
I was scared to death by Rhys Ifan's "The Lizard" because nothing terrifies me more than a dinosaur and seeing a dude morph into one is just nuts. The action was breath-taking and more than once I was literally on the edge of my seat. I love it when a movie is set in New York because cameras just love that beautiful city. I can't say one bad thing about The Amazing Spider-Man. As we walked to the car I was basically screaming at Husband about how dope the movie was. And because he knows and loves me, he even bought me a Spider-Man lunch box. Before we saw the movie. And now? That lunchbox is even doper than it was the day before! It's that good, you guys! Don't even bother listening to the haters out there. Just take my word and go see the damn thing. Do it. Now. And? Keep your eyes open for the C. Thomas Howell cameo... I haven't seen that dude since Soul Man!

2 comments:

Coodence said...

Rad! Can't wait.

Also, I didn't know you were scared of dinosaurs. I mean, who wouldn't be? I just didn't know that is what scared you the most.

I would have said birds did. Scare you the most. But, perhaps it's because dinosaurs are ancestors to birds. Perhaps.

Andrea said...

I just watched "Red Dawn" for the first time ever this weekend. C. Thomas Howell solidarity!

I really want to see this, but I'm saving my movie money for Batman. I will see Batman and I will see it this weekend and I couldn't be happier.