6.25.2012

Movie Review Monday

Our Friday night viewing was The Sitter, starring Jonah Hill. I will say right off the bat, I expected nothing from this movie and ultimately only rented it because I like Jonah Hill. If you decide to watch it, I would suggest you go in with zero expectations as well because as such, it ends up being an okay movie. Basically Jonah Hill's character does his mom a favor and watches the neighbor kids so she can meet a potential suitor. What happens next is like an R-rated Adventures in Babysitting involving Sam Rockwell as a hilarious drug dealer, some not-so-annoying child actors in adult situations and a fair amount of explosions and violence and a chuckle here and there. Nothing wrong with that. What is wrong is that I just realized Adventures in Babysitting came out when I was TEN years old - TWENTY-FIVE years ago... Jesus Christ, I'm geriatric.

Yesterday afternoon while Casey napped after our rigorous morning of bike-riding and swimming, Husband and I hunkered down for some relaxing time to watch Jeff, Who Lives At Home. Once again, I confess, I only rented this because of Jason Segel and after it arrived at our house I read an article in the E-Dub about how this "melancholy" movie was the brainchild of the same dude who brought us Cyrus. Siiiiigh. I guess his work is pretty critically acclaimed in the indie scene but I should have known better. This movie is essentially about Jeff, a bit of a stoner living in his mother's basement, who gets a call for a guy named Kevin even though no Kevin resides there. Because Jeff is a believer in signs - inspired by the Mel Gibson Film -  he follows some Kevin-related clues around all day. He ends up with his brother, Pat, and they go on a life changing adventure of a day. Yeah. I mean, I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. I need to stray from indie emo movies, I think. That's not to say this isn't a great movie, it's just not for me.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Your blog ate my comment. I'm trying again.

Sam Rockwell is sexy. I want to dance to Marvin Gaye songs with him. I think that would be a good time.

I didn't know "Jeff..." was already on DVD! I want to see that. I will not let your review deter me.

The end.