6.04.2012

Movie Review Monday

After reading Jane Lynch's autobiography, I realized I hadn't seen her in Christopher Guest's movie For Your Consideration. It's basically the story of a little movie called Home for Purim and how its actors hear that there is Oscar buzz surrounding their film and their performances. Things don't exactly turn out as everyone has expected but it's a silly ride up until the end. The thing about Guest's movies is that I'm not exactly sure they are for everyone. You really need to take them for what they are as you watch them and that is completely improvised. I admire the cast of recurring actors that come up with interesting, off-the-wall characters that are likeable and believable and in each film, completely original from the last one.


This weekend we decided to make a theme out of watching movies everyone has probably already seen so we watched Secretariat. Secretariat is a horse that broke records by winning the Triple Crown back in the 70s. Because I am a sucker for Disney movies about underdog champions, I wanted to see this one. I have to admit, it was a good movie that just didn't live up to my expectations. Diane Lane plays Penny Chenery, Secretariat's owner, and the story is more about her than the horse. She's a housewife who basically inherits the farm when her mother dies and her senile father is dying. She pretty much leaves her husband and their four kids behind to handle her business and ends up with this winning horse. Her husband is not exactly understanding when his housewife wants to be this horse-racing celebrity and it made me want to punch him in the mouth. So there's that. These sure were two underwhelming movie reviews.

3 comments:

Coodence said...

the movie reviews were not underwhelming, though perhaps the movies were?

dirkmancuso said...

Gotta admit that FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION was far and away my least favorite of the Christopher Guest movies.

Christine said...

Funny that I loved Secretariat precisely because her husband is an a-hole, and she didn't care and did what she wanted to do anyways. That and I love Diane Lane. And ponies.