6.26.2012

The Help - Kathryn Stockett

I just realized it's been almost two months since I finished my last book and that, frankly, is unacceptable. The Help was a nice and easy read because, well, I'd already seen the movie. There were a few changes here and there but mostly, the story was the same. I'd heard quite a bit of chatter that Stockett should have never dared write this book because she is a white woman speaking in the voice of a black servant. Very taboo. At the end of the book, however, Stockett has a nice aside about growing up with her own black maid and how that impacted her life. I didn't find her portrayal of the characters to be racist or stereotypical but what do I know? I found that Hilly, the white girl, to be the least likeable character in the book, just as she was in the film. I hated her. I thought Skeeter was inspirational, Minnie was hilarious and Aibileen was a character I sympathized for because she sweetly devoted her life to children who weren't her own. It's a good story that I'm glad was told, regardless of the race of the author. I would recommend this book to anyone.

1 comment:

Coodence said...

I thought the book was aight. It was no skin off my back to read it, and I'm glad other people read it who may have had no idea about the very real recent past.