5.07.2012

Movie Review Monday

This weekend we managed to squeeze in War Horse. Don't ask me what we were so busy doing because I simply don't know. We went to the park a bunch, cleaned and ran errands. All of a sudden it was Monday and time for me to talk about movies. I have not seen nor do I have any knowledge of the stage show this film was based on. I expected to cry a river of tears and I did not. I'm still not particularly convinced this movie should have been nominated for an Oscar aside from the Spielberg affiliation. As I was watching it, I kept commenting how surreal and dreamlike everything looked. The colors were too crisp and everything had a Disney feel to it, especially Harold the honking goose. The story was nice enough and I really thought that horse was great but this movie didn't really do anything for me in the sense of emotional overhaul or any such thing. I think I was the most emotional when wanting to kick the landlord's ass for being such a prick before the horse went to war. I'm not sure that was what Spielberg was going for.

2 comments:

Christine said...

I totally wanted to see the War Pony movie. But I still haven't! Maybe I won't now. I did love Secretariat, tho. Give me a strong female lead in Diane Lane anyday! xoxo

dirkmancuso said...

The trailer for this one looked totally manipulative to earn both easy tears and an Oscar nod.

I wish Spielberg would trying to make serious, important movies and go back to stuff like E.T. and Indiana Jones...