5.09.2012

Cat's Cradle - Ventura County

Apparently my office has become some sort of safe haven for kittens. Last week two strays were dropped off here and we managed to get one of our vendors to take them home. One of the kittens had a hernia and it ended up costing him a cool grand to get the two of those kitties up to snuff but they have a happy home now so all is well that ends well. Yesterday, one of our forklift drivers almost ran over a kitten and once again it was suddenly my responsibility to find it a home.
At promptly 3 pm I contacted Cat's Cradle by email and left a voice mail. I got a call back at 7 pm. The woman who runs the place, whose name I've never gotten, basically lectured me for feeding a stray, feral cat cow's milk and tuna. She asked me a ton of questions I did not have the answers to and I could hear the frustration in her voice. I told her at that hour I would not be taking the cat anywhere nor did I want anyone coming to my house, it would have to be dealt with in the morning because I have a toddler at home. She was insistent that the cat needed attention immediately. I hung up with her. The kitten had gotten a bath, was eating baby formula mixed with dog food out of a syringe and seemed generally ok. Believe it or not, it made it through the night just fine.
This morning at around 8 am, I called her again to see if she knew where my office was. She was incredibly defensive when I tried to give her directions to my hard-to-find office. She told me she had customers and couriers that came out this way and if not there was GPS, mapquest and a phone number she could call if she got lost. Wow. An hour later, I had found a home for the kitten on my own (thanks, Crusty!) and called to tell her I no longer needed her services. She told me that there was someone already on the way, I told her she should have called first and she abruptly hung up on me.
I'm not digging on getting hung up on or spoken to in that manner at so I called back to ask her name. She told me she didn't need to give me her name because she would never help me again. I told her I would never contact her again so it didn't matter. I proceeded to tell her she was rude and handled this whole thing quite poorly. She responded that she'd spent the last hour on the phone and was trying to get someone to get this kitten and that the world didn't revolve around me and she had a business to run. I finally hung up realizing I would get no where trying to reason with an insane cat woman.
I've spent the last half hour posting on facebook and craigslist to not use this group and here I am blogging about it. I have called PetSmart because they have used them in the past and have not only spoken to people locally but went ahead and called corporate as well. I don't know what is up with rescue groups but I wash my hands of them. It was hard enough trying to get Betty and clearly trying to get help with stray kittens is no easier.

MORAL OF THAT STORY: Pets are pets. Animals are animals. But people are people and should be treated better than either of them.

1 comment:

Coodence said...

These people be crazy, yo.