4.30.2012

Movie Review Monday

Friday night was Fright Night at the Friday house and we watched Let The Right One In. I don't know if you remember, but I read this book a while back based on the good reviews this movie had gotten. I would say, if I had to choose, the book would win over the movie hands down. Husband and I found the film itself to be quite slow and had I not read the book, I would not have had much of a clue as to what was going on. I will say, however, that the special effects at the moments of horror were excellent. I definitely cheered when I saw a severed head sink to the bottom of the pool and when Eli began to bleed after crossing the threshold of Oskar's home without being invited in. I'm not sure I need to see the American version. And just between you and me? Always go with subtitles over dubbed English. So weird.

Yesterday, I decided to watch some infinitely lighter fare and watched my DVR'd version of Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey that PBS had run. I'm not even going to mince words here: this is the best documentary I have ever seen. Kevin Clash (Elmo's Handler) started off as a young boy making puppets out of the felt that lines his father's raincoat. Thankfully, rather than punish him, his parents saw his potential and encouraged his gift. He was inspired by Jim Henson and went on to work for him and to become basically the head honcho over at Sesame Street. I smiled from start to finish, crying often as he relived his journey for us. This man is amazing and has a magical gift that I hope CGI never kills. I recommend this to anyone that has even the slightest love of Muppetry. It completed me.

2 comments:

dirkmancuso said...

I actually prefer the American version which features a great performance by Chloƫ Grace Moretz.

Definitely worth a viewing.

Andrea said...

I am a huge huge sap for movies / stories about people getting to make their dream come to reality. This movie had me blubbering like a fool.