4.02.2012

Movie Review Monday

I am really glad I was fresh off of reading the book when I went to see The Hunger Games this weekend even though it made the subtle changes all the more noticeable. It's always hard to adapt a book to movie form without losing a lot but I felt the film stayed very true to the story and I highly recommend it. Husband didn't read the book and he had no trouble following along and said he enjoyed it as well. The book is mainly from the first person perspective of hero Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence nailed it!) and I wondered how that would play on screen. It turns out the film version created the background scenes of the games, which was very interesting and made the vision of that kind of future even more frightening. I really thought the casting was fantastic (especially Stanley Tucci!) except for one character: Peeta. In writing, the character has a much more self-deprecating sense of humor whereas the actor came across like a little bit of a wuss. Because of that, I didn't feel the love triangle as much as I think I could have. That and the fact that Gale (played by cutie patootie and Miley Cyrus boyfriend/brother of Thor, Liam Hemsworth) wasn't in this movie nearly enough to establish said love triangle. While the fight scenes were definitely brutal, the book was far more grotesque in its descriptions. Still, it was shocking to see children in the audience. While at Barnes & Noble this weekend, I noticed lots of kids walking around with the books in their hands. I have to applaud this series and if the movie inspires more children to read, then I'm all for it. In fact, I'm excited about it.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I've wondered how people who didn't read the books feel about Gale. Like, we know how important he is because we read the books. But, they didn't give any back story and he wasn't in the movie enough to really get a good sense of who and what he is. I can see some people thinking "Why is this random dude here?"

I thought Peeta was a wuss in the books. I'm not a fan of Peeta. I like Gale. Peeta seemed like too much of a puppy dog type for me. Not a fan.

I feel like they glossed over so much in the beginning. I liked, don't get me wrong. It's just, you know, details and stuff that get lost when you take a book and turn it into a movie.