3.20.2012

Netflix Two-sday

First on our list was 50/50, a movie based on an actual experience Seth Rogen had with a young friend who was diagnosed with cancer. I happen to think both Rogen and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are both highly underrated and I was quite impressed with their performances. Considering this is a movie about a 27-year old man given a 50% chance of survival, you would think this would be a sad movie. Which it was, don't get me wrong I bawled. But mostly, it was a movie about friendship with moments of pure comedy stemming from nothing less than tragedy. I would recommend 50/50 solely for the scene where Rogen tells off his buddy's girlfriend (played by the beautiful yet often bitch-cast Bryce Dallas Howard) for basically being the worst person ever. I literally was cheering. The supporting cast is phenomenal and really made this movie come alive. Plus, how can you go wrong when a movie ends with Pearl Jam's Yellow Ledbetter?

And now for the tirade. What the fuck was Midnight in Paris? Seriously. People raved about this shit. It was nominated for everything. Maybe I just don't "get" Woody Allen. I have only ever seen one other movie by him and that was Vicky Cristina Barcelona on cable because nothing else was on. I can't even say I watched that because I liked it. I was just sick and too weak to change the channel. The gist of this story is that Owen Wilson's Hollywood screenwriter cum novelist is in love with Paris in the 20s. Somehow, at midnight, while in Paris, he travels back in time to this period of art and splendor and is fulfilled. In real life present day, he's engaged to this snotty bitch and has to hang out with all her whiny, pretentious friends while he himself basically just kind of sucks. I can't think of a single character that was likeable in this movie aside from Kathy Bates as Gertrude Stein and she was only in it for like a handful of minutes. I'm not sure what kind of world Woody Allen lives in but I'm glad I don't live there. I don't think I'd like the people he's around much. Clearly everyone he associates with is terrible.

1 comment:

Coodence said...

I have only seen Radio Days, which is awesome and I've heard totally unlike every other Woody Allen film.