3.01.2012

Moneyball

We had tried to squeeze Moneyball in before the Oscars because it was up for 6 awards but it got lost in the mail. I don't know why we were so excited about it, though. About halfway through, Husband asked me what I thought and I said "It's pretty boring." When it ended, he said he'd rather have watched paint dry. Not exactly what we had been hoping for.
Is that to say that the performances were not exceptional? No. Jonah Hill blew my mind playing the straight guy. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was outstanding as the coach. Brad Pitt was fine, I suppose, but I don't really get the hype surrounding him. And just to be catty, I don't understand how so many women find him such a heartthrob. My man is not aging well. Not like his buddy Clooney anyway.
The concept itself is incredibly interesting and would have been a good topic for a documentary. I have heard the book this film is based on is sort of difficult to get through. Basically, the Oakland A's had no budget to replace some star players they were losing. Rather than try and compete with million dollar budgets like the Yankees have, Billy Beane (the general manager) puts together an affordable team using statistical data. The A's go on to have a pretty incredible though not World Series winning season after floundering in the beginning. Like baseball itself, this movie was slow but entertaining. I can't say I understand how it was nominated for Best Picture and I don't think Brad Pitt was particularly worthy of Best Actor, though. Jonah Hill, on the other hand, I think has a bright future ahead of him and totally deserved his Best Supporting Actor nomination.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I don't get all the love for Brad Pitt, either. I like him in certain roles. But his face bothers me. I've never found him to be that super attractive. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Gen said...

I love Brad Pitt back in the day, like Cool World, Across the Tracks, A River Runs Through It, Legends of the Fall, Se7en ... shoot, I think those are all early 90s and the only time I ever drooled.

He's pretty, but lately pretty bleh.

Lisa..... said...

I am not a fan of Brad Pitt either. I just don't get it.

April said...

If Brad Pitt were naked in my bed tonight, I'd still fuck the shit out of him. (Joe would be OK with it, I'm sure. LOL) That's all I'm saying. But yeah, he isn't aging well. And I think he'd look much better these days with shorter hair.

I didn't think this movie looked good in the previews. I'll wait for it to come out on Showtime to watch it.

Coodence said...

I agree, April! He'd look way better with shorter hair. You know when Brad Pitt was beautiful? Thelma and Louise. Humanuh Humanuh.