3.29.2012

Book Review Thursday

BFF (along with pretty much everyone else in America) read this book ages ago and told me how great it was but I really hadn't been in the reading spirit until recently. With the movie coming out, I decided I would quickly devour it so I could go to the show. Quickly indeed. I probably could have read it in much less time than the week or so I have had it but I didn't want it to end. Stephenie Meyer should take note: This is how a love triangle should be for a teenage girl. She should be the warrior with mixed emotions, not the pining and conflicted damsel in distress. The Hunger Games definitely has a futuristic social commentary to it but it doesn't shove it in your face. It's definitely graphic and much more violent than any book I read as a teenager but I guess it's time to face the facts that the times are changing. Mostly, I found that this book would be very empowering to young women. You can't fault a message like that. I hope that the movie does it justice because my imagination was running wild the entire time I was reading. I guess I'll find out this weekend. And also? Damn a trilogy. This first book left me on the edge and now I have to wait for the second one to get here. Because you know I ordered the box set from Amazon.

No comments: