2.08.2012

Facebook

I'm always on myself for one thing or another and this week I seem to be irritated about how much time I spend looking at Facebook. My Blackberry is the first time I've ever had a phone where I use things like internet and apps. I was honestly hesitant to get one because I know I have an addictive personality and I didn't want to become one of those people who was always checking her phone. Lo and behold, I check that thing all the time. Sometimes it's because I get my work email there but most of the time it's Facebook.
For what? Facebook is honestly lame. Right now a "friend" of mine is letting her freak flag fly and it's a train wreck to watch. She was never even a poster but now she's out and proud and putting her entire family on blast for the world to see. It's really something. BFF had a thing on her Pinterest that says "Face your problems, not Facebook your problems" and my oh my is that ever on the dot. I know I'm guilty of excessive activity sometimes but I generally try to refrain from airing my dirty laundry or posting every mundane thought I have ever had.
So I guess what I'm saying is I need to try and wean myself from the constant checking. I have Facebook open all day at work mostly because of Words With Friends so my new personal challenge is not to check it at home. I think the occasional alert check is justified but not just logging on to scroll. Used to be I'd wake up, roll over and check the dang news feed. Really? That's crack status right there. I'd like to use my evenings to really bond with my son and actually talk to my husband rather than read about everyone else's nonsense.
But really? This doesn't just apply to Facebook. I really spend far too much time online that would be better spent doing other things. Like say, reading a book. I can't even remember the last time I read a book... Has it really been since May when I finished Bossypants? That's disgraceful! So I quit Pinterest. I'm cutting way back on Facebook. I hope to read books and watch movies and live a little more off-screen if only just to blog about it for you.

MORAL OF THAT STORY: If it's not one thing, it's another.

4 comments:

Gen said...

Funny you should post about this topic, I've been feeling the same way lately. Although, you've seen my try to break my addiction ... and fail numerous times LOL

It's crazy how people feel the need to share all of life's details on Facebook.

I, for one, miss your pics of cutie patootie CD so I'm hoping those will start up soon or I'll have to stalk your pictures ... and well, between updating my 3 blogs, twitter, pinterest, path, and facebook, I just don't have time to commit to that!

I do enjoy your blog :)

Andrea said...

I think it sounds like you need to start hiding people's updates that are causing you all of this irritation. Or learn to just see it and move on from it. :)

I'm still zen, yo.

Coodence said...

Dude. I feel you. I am so glad I am working now because I am so way off facebook during the day. I literally have not once logged onto it with my work computer.

And it makes facebook so much better. And me so much better.

Good luck ho!

Lurker Girl said...

I feel you sister! I took a look at the pile of magazines that stacked up in my bathroom and I decided that I am weaning myself as well. I had magazines from OCTOBER (so they arrived in Sept) that I had not touched.

I spent the last couple of weeks going thru them all and even reading some books..it's been very refreshing actually!

Good luck!